Thursday, January 10, 2008

Training Family Revisited

In 2004 I set out to explain who my training family consisted of. It was one of my first blog posts ever. Shortly after that blog post, my real family grew... and grew, and I had not revisited that post until very early this morning. Nostalgia set in as I recalled my position in jiu jitsu life, pre-kids, pre-purple belt humility and really pre-Small Axe.


Many of the characters are still in play. Some have moved on (which is the nature of running a club at a University as I was in 2004). There certainly have been additions, and so I felt a revisit to this concept of 'training family' would be helpful, especially for those students who want to improve and progress efficiently.



For a detailed background of what I mean by 'Training Family', please read my post from 2004. In summary though, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tends to bond its participants together. Nothing is more humbling than defeat or recognition of ignorance. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu provides its practitioners with plenty of opportunities for both. Thus, those that stick with the art tend to be willing to weather significant storms, guide others through the same, and share in the feelings of victory. Sounds to me like some of the characteristics of a good family.


So, using the analogy of family for purposes of describing one's jiu jitsu partners and instructors, I think it is important to evaluate the 'functionality' of the family. Is your family one that puts the fun in dysfunction? Or, rather, is your family a rooted in tradition, bound for success model family. It is likely that mine and yours fall someplace in between... why? Most people like to watch Jerry Springer but also admire those that seem destined to greatness.


Since 2004, my training family has grown, spread out, and my role has increased in significance. While at IU, I viewed my students as younger brothers (because they were getting instruction from multiple instructors), I was just an older brother imparting what wisdom I could. Today, I am attempting to forge my style of BJJ, create my own students, and develop the jiu jitsu philosophy of Small Axe; all of which places me in a more fatherly role to my current students.




Father figures:

With that said, I still have Professor Caique as a Grandfatherly figure in my training family. He provides direct answers, critique, support, and direction all from a distance. He does not concern himself with my day to day matters, but rather my goals for tomorrow, next week, next month and next year.

Greg Lucas still holds the position of 'father' in my jiu jitsu training family. He is my closest instructor, monitors most closely my training, teaching, and needs. Greg has cultivated my desire to teach and encouraged my creation of my own program and philosophy of jiu jitsu.



Uncles:

There are others that I turn to for guidance, encouragement, instruction, and humbling but fall short of being my coach or instructor. I consider them 'uncles' in the family. James Clingerman, Don Cunnanan, and Pedro Elias are three such characters. Pedro is Professor Caique's son. On my journeys to California to train, Pedro has been willing to observe my practice and polish many of the rough spots in my game.

I met James through my training family brother Mat Stratta (see below). James is a huge Jiu Jitsu Force in Indiana. He runs great tournaments and produces stud grapplers. He is a wealth of knowledge and has corrected my mental mistakes with his advice. James also lets me come to his school to be humbled by his beatings.




(James Clingerman, Jack McVicker, Tim Sledd)






(Tim Sledd and Don Cunannan)


I met Don Cunannan on my first trip to WV to see my Brother and Sister-in-law. We trained together on each of my trips out there and Don gave me a fresh style to play against. He is a medical doctor, so he and I both share an interest in the academic undertaking BJJ can be.
Brothers:

Brothers are your training partners. These are folks you roll with day in and day out, or who are your contemporaries that you share a bond with. Many of my brothers were met in my IU days, but have moved on and spread out. Some have come into the family in the recent past. I consider my students brothers... even if I am in a Fatherly role.
Mat Stratta: Define 'quality human' and you have characterized this man. He is a world traveler, intelligent, and caring guy. His jiu jitsu is very smooth and coordinated. He is a fun roll for sure!


(Tim Sledd, Mat Stratta)


Buddy Mitchell: In 2006 I began training with Buddy during my lunch breaks at work. Buddy is a great student and training partner. He is listens and absorbs the techniques quickly. At just over 200lbs, Buddy is a mountain to move. I am grateful to have him train with.


(Buddy Mitchell, Professor Caique, Tim Sledd)

Kedar Bhat: Kedar and I spent several years co-running the IU BJJ Club. We handed the reigns off to Paul Hogan as we both moved into our professional careers. Kedar is a great example of how BJJ can work for the non-aggressive, self-described non-athlete. While I think Kedar is a tough guy, he will tell you he is not athletic. His jiu jitsu is fundamental, tough, and resistant to a muscling wrestler like me :)

Paul Hogan: The same thing I wrote about Paul in 2004 is true today. The additions I need to make is that he has grown into fine leader. Paul is mega smart and his jiu jitsu mirrors his ability to think outside box.

(Tim Sledd, Paul Hogan, Kedar Bhat)

Brandon Sieg: In 2005, Brandon Sieg, a master in several martial arts, opened his academy to my instruction of BJJ. He is a wealth of information about the instruction of martial arts, the motivation of the students and team building. He also has good jiu jitsu

(Evan Mannwieler, Mike Dodge, Ben Johnson are brothers that are being mentioned because they offer great support, ideas, teaching help and are sounding boards for my rants. )

Unmentioned family members: There are many. If your name is not here, that does not mean you are not a valuable family member. I have intentionally left some off and I am sure unintentionally missed others. Regardless, the goal of this post is for you to critically think about your training family and work to build one of your own.