Thursday, March 20, 2008

FAQs

QUESTIONS FROM THE NEW STUDENT

One of my new students wanted to interview me for his English Class. He submitted the following questions. I enjoyed answering the questions and hope they provide some insight to others wondering the same things. These questions were answered on 3/18/08.

1. What is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?
2. What got you into BJJ?
3. How long have you done BJJ?
4. What other career have you done?
5. What belt are you at right now?
6. Do you compete in tournaments?
7. How long have you been a part of Gentry family?
8. What does it take to be a part of BJJ?
9. What other martial arts do you know?
10. What kind of environment does Gentry provide?
11. What’s the difference from BJJ and folk wrestling?
12. Who was your instructor?
13. What’s your favorite sport?
14. Would you consider BJJ a sport?
15. Have you ever tapped out, and if so then to whom?



1. What is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) is a martial art that focuses primarily on self defense and ground fighting. It stems from ancient Japanese Jiu Jitsu but was translated by a frail young Brazilian named Helio Gracie. He re-organized the techniques so that size and
strength would matter less than good technique.


2. What got you into BJJ?

I undertook the practice of BJJ because I have always been a grappler. I enjoyed wrestling in school and with the advent of the UFCs in the early '90s, I began to see how there was more to wrestling than just pinning someone... I could make them surrender. I decided to give it a try in '96, but there were no qualified instructors in my area, so I did Shoot Fighting which is a blend of Kickboxing, Judo and Japanese Jiu Jitsu. When I started at Indiana University, I met Greg Lucas who taught BJJ and I took classes with him.


3. How long have you done BJJ?

I began training in BJJ officially in '98. I was promoted to blue belt by Professor Caique and Royce Gracie in '00; then to purple belt in '05 by Professor Caique; then to brown belt in '08 by Professor Caique.


4. What other career have you done?

I am currently a Judge. I have done criminal defense and family law in the past and had a private practice for three years before moving to the bench. In October, I will be the Chief Deputy Prosecutor.


5. What belt are you at right now?

I am a brown belt


6. Do you compete in tournaments?

Yes. I try to do at least 4 or 5 tournaments each year. As I get older and as my skill division gets tougher, and as my focus turns more to teaching it grows harder to prepare myself appropriately for competition.


7. How long have you been a part of Gentry family?

I started teaching BJJ at Gentry Martial Arts in May of '05.


8. What does it take to be a part of BJJ?

I am not sure I understand what you are asking here, but I would say that there are several components to those who are willing to invest themselves in BJJ. First, the person cannot be afraid of physical contact. BJJ is a hands on martial art. Secondly, the person must be able to leave their EGO off the mat. BJJ is a martial art style in which you begin losing 100% of the time then gradually it will become 85% of time, then after a long period of time, your success percentage will exceed your loss percentage, but it take years. Therefore, people focused on winning will grow discouraged and quit.


9. What other martial arts do you know?

I have no 'degrees' to speak of in any other martial art. I have studied Hapkido and Judo along with Kickboxing, but BJJ is my martial art.


10. What kind of environment does Gentry provide?

Gentry provides an environment where we seek to give quality instruction in the core techniques of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in a safe yet challenging manner. Many of the students have commented that they feel like the BJJ class is a second family for them. I hope that is true.


11. What’s the difference from BJJ and folk wrestling?

Folkstyle wrestling is a sport where the goal is to place one's opponent's shoulders on the mat. There are many rules and strength and speed are important qualities. BJJ is a martial art (though there is a sport application) in which one combatant seeks to do as little damage as possible to the other combatant but at the same time secure the submission of the other. In the sport, pinning an opponent means nothing. Instead, the objective is to apply a joint-lock or choke to the opponent causing them to give up or go to sleep.


12. Who was your instructor?

My primary instructor is Carlos "Caique" Elias. He lives in California and comes to Indiana a few times a year. I try to go to his school in California at least twice a year.

Greg Lucas is my coach. He lives in Bedford, Indiana and is responsible for my more day to day training and instruction.


13. What’s your favorite sport?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu


14. Would you consider BJJ a sport?

BJJ is many things. It is a martial art, it is a sport, it is philosophy of life. When I teach, I try to teach the most versatile techniques (i.e. those that will work in a self-defense situation, those that will work in a sport match, and those that can be analogized to a life situation).


15. Have you ever tapped out, and if so then to whom?

Yes! As I said before, in this style, you start out losing 100% of the time. I have been tapped out by too many people to name. After a certain amount of time practicing BJJ, you grow not to put any significance on who tapped who when. It is more important to learn
from each tap to make yourself better.