Saturday, December 08, 2007

The Birth of Small Axe Jiu Jitsu

Triangle Choke Escapes:


Head Arm Triangle Escapes:


Dan Competes and gets a tap at the Michigan Open '08:




A couple No-Gi Vids for Chris McDonald in Jamaica





Video of My Hoosier Open Match







Video of My Michigan Open Match (I was still a purple belt but fought up in the brown belt division)



2007 was an interesting year in my jiu jitsu life. First, I spent considerable time pontificating over my philosophy of jiu jitsu. I have for sometime felt the lyric of Small Axe (a song by Bob Marley and the Wailers) fit my perception of what a strong founation in BJJ needed. Well, I finally committed to honing this analogy. Small Axe Jiu Jitsu was born.

Technique: (Americana from Modified Cross-Side)



Along with this birth was my maiden voyage to Jamaica to share Jiu Jitsu with the great island. Sifu Dwayne Gail generously hosted me at his kung fu school where I taught two days of class. The students were eager and hungry for knowledge. I planted seeds I plan to nurture for years to come.

Video Technique 2: (Reverse Arm Bar from Modified Cross-Side)



I was able to teach a private lesson to a Rastafarian wood carver on a secluded beach (I am sure this memory will flash before my eyes at the end of my life voyage).

Video Technique 3: (Head-arm triangle)



2007 was not such a great year for me regarding competitions. Well, let me explain; it was a great year for my students, but for me personally, my performances were lack luster. I can give dozens of reasons and excuses, but what matters is that my goal of remaining an active competitor remains in tact.

Thanks to God for a great 2007.